Under NFPA 25 guidelines, there are a number of frequencies for a fire sprinkler system inspection, testing and upkeep. One of the necessary and ignored inspections is the 5-year fire sprinkler system inspection. Let’s touch on key factors in regards to the 5-year inspection and why it’s so necessary.
- The 5-year fire sprinkler system inspection, test and maintenance.
- We should first notice who’s liable for the 5-year fire sprinkler system inspection. The building owner or the Property Manager should have the accountability for the inspection. They’re additionally liable for accessibility to the building and fire sprinkler components. Check your lease ( if applicable) to verify responsibility
- There are a number of various kinds of fire sprinkler systems. What needs to be decided first is what type of system is within the building. CCN Group Inc. and its fire sprinkler contracting team can do that for you. Once you know what type of sprinkler system you have, the inspection necessities can be laid out.
- We should additionally notice that the building owner should hold all information of fire sprinkler inspection, testing, and upkeep. This information will inform the certified fire sprinkler contractor of the kind of inspection and services needed.
Fire Sprinkler System Components. How They Relate to the 5-Year Fire Sprinkler System Inspection
There are four types of fire sprinkler methods: wet, dry, pre-action and deluge systems. These system have a number of comparable elements that need a 5-year fire sprinkler system inspection, testing and upkeep.
You need to change gauges every 5 years or test them compared to a calibrated gauge. Generally, it’s more economical to change the gauges every 5 years.
Another common element are the sprinklers. In a fire sprinkler system inspection, we take a look at the sprinklers uncovered to harsh circumstances and change them where needed. CCN Group Inc’s professional Fire Team can decide these environments.
Sprinklers that need testing and generally changing:
- Solder-type sprinklers with a temperature score of 325 uncovered to ambient temperatures. Check a sample sprinkler to find out in the event that they still operate as they need to.
- Sprinklers in service for greater than 75 years. Check a sample sprinkler to find out whether or not they want changing or not. Generally it’s more economical to switch such outdated fire sprinklers.
Private Service Water Main Fire Backflow
A personal service water main Fire Backflow provides water for your fire sprinkler system. It may be underground or uncovered piping. Every year you are required to perform a backflow test per the county your business resides in . This test will look at the condition of the piping. CCN’s plumbing team will carry out a flow test on the backflow. We may test the a fundamental drain and the hose and fire department connection condition as well. The backflow testing will also help decide if the private service water main offers the correct quantity of water in your system.
Water Storage Tank
If a storage tank offers water in your system, the 5 year requirements are as follows.
- Unless you have a non-corrosive safety tank through which case a three year internal inspection is required by the standard.
- Every 5 years you need to examine the inside of the water storage tank.
- It’s not obligatory to empty the complete tank
- NFPA 25 permits licensed industrial divers or distant video as an alternative means.
Throughout this 5 year inspection, the inspector will search for indicators of pitting and corrosion. He will even test the tank coating, pin holes, cracks and wall thickness. The tanks that are ring type foundation sand within the center are inspected for voids beneath the ground.
In case your system has one, the inspection workforce will remove and examine it for damage and corroded elements. This may have an effect on the flow of demanding water in your water protection system.
The neglect of these things could be damaging and expensive. However most of all, it causes your fire protection system to be fully comprised
All methods geared up with alarm valves need a 5-year inspection. The inspector will confirm the operation of the clapper and the valve seat. He will even search for corrosion or obstruction materials. Any foreign materials can clog up the system, not permitting to operate because it ought to. The inspector will even be certain there isn’t any re-pressurizing of areas the place it’s not wanted. Or the system doesn’t launch stress the place it’s wanted.
The inspector will even take a look at stress lowering, stress aid, and fire hose valves. This take a look at ensures the system isn’t over pressurized or beneath pressurized. This testing data reveals if the system is receiving the designed stress.
One of the necessary elements of a 5 year inspection is the obstruction investigation. This investigation encompass the piping and branch line. The inspector will open a flushing connection on the end of one main. He will even remove a sprinkler in the direction of the end of one branch line. The explanation for this inspection is to detect the presence of foreign materials.
MIC (Microbiologically Influenced Corrosion)
The presence of MIC in piping is a major problem. MIC creates leaks, pin-hole leaks and spreads throughout the entire system. Other common foreign materials are zebra mussels, rust, work gloves and scales. Zebra mussels are present in systems with a natural water supply such as lakes and rivers.
If you have questions, reach out to CCN Group’s professional fire team at 800 506-8760 or leave us a message thru our website online messaging link.